Log in

Coventry City Council

Question: What can you claim for on expenses as a councillor?

Asked by ourchoicecanley to Ed, Jim, Lynnette, Rae on 13 Oct 2010 in Categories: .

0 Comment on this question

  • Photo: Jim O'BoyleJim O'Boyle answered on 13 Oct 2010:

    It depends what you do. All councillors get an allowance which is about £13K per year. Expenses are different from an allowance. I have made one expenses claim in three and half years as a councillor which was for petrol when I went to Harrogate in Yorkshire for a conference on social services.


  • Photo: Ed RuaneEd Ruane answered on 13 Oct 2010:

    I think you can claim expenses back for places that you have had to visit as part of your job, so for example if you had to travel to London you can claim for travel costs, such as railway fare or petrol money, if you had to stay down there overnight you can also claim for the cost of hotel accommodation.


  • Photo: Lynnette KellyLynnette Kelly answered on 13 Oct 2010:

    You can claim for travel and for telephone use, but I don’t claim for either.


  • Photo: Rachel LancasterRachel Lancaster answered on 13 Oct 2010:

    You get an allowance as a councillor & all this information and expences (eg travel) are printed for everyone to see in the Coventry evening telegraph so everything is completley transparent. We don’t get a huge allowance like MP’s