Meet the councillors!
In charge of Education
Research and teaching on equalities and discrimination
Yet another meeting on the future of the youth service today, followed by advice surgery with MP Bob Ainsworth
Favourite Thing: My favourite thing about Coventry is the people
Me and my council work
I’m responsible for everything to do with education, and for keeping children and young people safe in Coventry.
As well as representing the people of Henley (which is Walsgrave, Wood End, Potters Green, and Manor Farm) and trying to resolve their problems, I am in charge of everything relating to education. That means trying to find the money for new buildings, making sure those that are excluded from school still get an education, and trying to make sure there are youth services across the city. I also am responsible for safeguarding, which means protecting children and young people from abuse and harm, whether the threat is from within their own family or from other people.
And I led a delegation form Coventry to visit the education minister and argue that he should give us the money we were promised to rebuild our schools. He said no, but I’m keeping up the campaign and will carry on fighting for us to get the school buildings we need and deserve.
My Typical Day
worrying about how we can provide important services when the government keeps taking our money away
A typical day starts with trying to get kids out of the house on time. Then its on to the council house for a meeting to find out what is going on, and deciding what actions to take to solove problems that people have brought to me. I spend as much time as I can in Henley meeting residents and checking progress of issues we’re trying to get sorted. Evenings I often have a residnets meeting, and if I can fit an exercise session in around that then I will.
What I'd do as "Youth Champion"
Visit youth centres and schools to find out more about which services are important for young people and which we need to save from cuts.
The government is taking away a lot of the money that we spend on youth clubs and projects that try to support young people. I would use my role as Youth Champion to see first hand what young people think of what we provide now, and what they think works well, and use that information to decide which services we should try to protect from cuts. I promise to visit every place where we carry out youth work and listen to the young people there about what they need.
How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Open, honest, irreverent
Who is your favourite singer or band?
What is the most fun thing you've done?
I tried Scuba diving once. Getting back out of that water was the best feeling ever.
If you had 3 wishes for yourself what would they be? - be honest!
A healthy life. Naturally red hair. The money to rebuild Coventry’s schools.
What did you want to be after you left school?
A food scientist. But then I learnt how they make sausages in factories and I went off the idea.
Were you ever in trouble in at school?
No comment – my children might see this. But is it a bad sign if you meet a former teacher and they remember you clearly after all these years?
What's the best thing you've done as a councillor?
getting a family evicted that were causing terrible problems for their neighbours
Tell us a joke.
The Queen was lying in bed one night. She pulled the sheet right up to her neck and shouted “Phillip, look at me, I’m a stamp.”
My profile link:
- Some young people in our Foleshill Our Choice Group asked – Would you be willing to visit on of our Our Choice sessions
- Some young people from our Foleshill Our Choice asked – Why are there not more checks done on young people to find out
- Some young people from our Foleshill Our Choice Group asked – We don’t always feel safe walking around Foleshill, is
- Who would in in a fight between the 2 remaining Cllrs??>
- When are there going to be lights put on the courts in the Hillfields area, so that young people can use the courts
- Hi I am the Youth Worker at Ernesford and the Young People have some questions for you: Can you make a park in lower
- Hi I am the Youth Worker at Ernesford and the Young People have some questions for you: Could we have better goals
- Hi I am the Youth Worker at Ernesford and I have some question from the YP Can you make a park nearer Ernesford and
- How can you help prevent crime in areas of Coventry?
- Hi I am the Youth Worker at Ernesford and the Young People have some questions for you: What are you plans to change
- View all my answered questions