Meet the councillors!
St. MIchael’s. Labour Party.
Cabinet Member for Community Services
I used to work in a car factory as a Union Officer.
What are you up to today?
Favourite Thing: Nice people. Honestly!
Me and my council work
I’m a Councillor for St. Michael’s ward and I’m also responsible for social servies for adults in Coventry.
My ward is one of the most deprived in the country so I am always busy. My work is very varied but I love doing it. I always wanted to do this sort of work – I’ve always stood up for people who aren’t always able to stand up for themselves. I attend lots of meetings but getting out meeting real people is what matters. I like to get into schools and talk and listen to students when I can.
My Typical Day
Work. Then more work. Then work. Then I sit down. Then I lie down. Finally I go to sleep. Might go pub too!
No day is really typical to be honest. They are always different, you never know what might come up next. Presenting a petition for residents, taking up some issue for a constituent, answering the phone, going to meetings, getting involved in community activity. There’s always something new and challenging to do. You should try it!!
What I'd do as "Youth Champion"
Talk about you………and listen to you.
I was Youth Champion a year or two ago. I spent a lot of time going round talking to students in schools. I’d do that again. I’d also champion young people and what you want to do. Tha’s why I’m the only councillor involved in developing a hang out space for young people in the city centre. You asked for one. I’m delivering it.
How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Quiet, unassuming, fibber!!!!
Who is your favourite singer or band?
Status Quo. Isn’t it yours? I’ll lend you a record if you want.
What is the most fun thing you've done?
If you had 3 wishes for yourself what would they be? - be honest!
Thin, younger and richer.
What did you want to be after you left school?
Didn’t know. Do you know the feeling?
Were you ever in trouble in at school?
Yes. Got the slipper a few times (basically the teacher hit you with a trainer). Loved it!
What's the best thing you've done as a councillor?
Met loads of young people and decided to create this Youth Area.
Tell us a joke.
I’ve just come back from a once in a lifetiem holiday. I tell you what. Never again!
My profile link:
- Have you heard of the Youth Offer within Coventry, if so how do you think it could be improved to show the varying
- What can you claim for on expenses as a councillor?
- We are a group from Canley that is involved in the Our Choice Project ran by Groundwork West Midlands. Why are you
- Do your polictical views and alliances affect your friendships outside of politics?
- Is EMA going to be scrapped in Coventry?
- What are young people going to gain from the new housing projects being as there were young people’s consultation?
- Is the voting age going to be reduced to 16?
- Do you get on with any opposition Councillors?
- Is child benefit being cut for young people over 16?
- What cuts from the budget will directly affect young people within Coventry?
- View all my answered questions